When you’re in the baking business, there are so many possibilities for delicious treats that it can be hard to choose a focus. From traditional recipes to worldwide cuisines, there are endless directions to go in. But sometimes, a great way to determine which flavors and ingredients to use is to let the seasons speak.
At Kirshenbaum Baking Co., we believe in following the seasons in baking. Using seasonal ingredients and considering traditional flavors associated with each season allows us to take advantage of farm-fresh, local ingredients at their flavor peak.
So, let’s take a look at how to start using seasonality in baking!
Have you ever noticed that certain baked goods taste better during specific times of the year? Well, the answer lies in seasonality.
Seasonality refers to using ingredients that are currently in season in your dishes. This means using ingredients that are freshly harvested and naturally available during a particular time of the year.
For instance, in the fall months, you might bake delicious pies or muffins using ingredients like apples, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice. When winter comes around, you may experiment with peppermint and gingerbread for your favorite holiday cookies. As the weather warms up in spring, you’ll likely start baking pies and tarts with fresh fruits like strawberries or cherries. And of course, in the summer, you’ll get to bake with juicy berries and sweet peaches– perfect for tasty muffins and bread.
There’s so much you can do with seasonal ingredients, beyond just incorporating them into your baked goods. Here are a few different ways you can get creative when taking advantage of seasonal produce:
- Use as decorations: Seasonal fruits and vegetables can add a pop of color and flavor to your baked goods as decorations. For example, you can use fresh berries and sliced fruit to top cupcakes or cakes or create a fruit or vegetable arrangement as a centerpiece for a dessert table. You can also use edible flowers such as pansies, lavender, or chamomile to add a touch of elegance and natural beauty to your desserts.
- Enhance the flavors: Seasonal ingredients offer a variety of flavors that can enhance your baked goods. During the fall, you can incorporate pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into your baking. In the winter, you can use peppermint, gingerbread spices, and eggnog flavors. In the spring and summer, you can use fresh berries, citrus, and herbs like basil or thyme. These seasonal flavors can make your baked goods taste and smell amazing and add a touch of the season to your creations.
These are just a couple of the many ways that you can get creative with seasonal ingredients in your baking. Incorporating seasonal ingredients in your baked goods not only adds variety to your creations but also celebrates the flavors and beauty of each season.
Why KBC Uses Seasonal Ingredients
Our philosophy at KBC is that to truly experience the season’s flavors and bring out their best, we have to use ingredients at the peak of perfection. Seasonality allows us to do just that– create fresh, delicious treats using local, seasonal produce. Overall, seasonality is a great way to create new recipes because it follows nature and market availability and gets you the best ingredients at their peak.
Below are some of the main reasons our bakery chooses to follow the seasons.
First, seasonal baking is a great way to inspire creativity in the kitchen. You can create something truly unique by using local produce and incorporating traditional flavors associated with a particular season.
Our bakery especially loves considering seasonality when brainstorming new recipe ideas. When you’re working with ingredients that are only available during certain times of the year, it encourages you to think outside the box and get creative with your recipes.
For example, spring is beginning now, meaning rhubarb is in season. Rhubarb is best enjoyed when cooked down before incorporating it into recipes. To think of ideas, we can start by asking ourselves: what can we cook the rhubarb down with, and what can we use the final product in? It might be cookies, cakes, or even morning pastries! Seasonality is the key to getting our creative juices flowing.
One of our favorite things about seasonal baking is that it supports local farms! Since seasonal ingredients coincide with market availability, you’ll be able to find them easily at your local farmers’ market or grocery store during their peak season.
The fresher the ingredients, the better the taste, and that’s where market availability comes into play. By purchasing seasonal ingredients that are grown locally, you’re ensuring that you’re using the highest quality ingredients that are at their peak ripeness, which means they’re bursting with flavor and nutrients. Your baked goods will be so tasty that your friends and family will be asking for your secret recipe!
Another amazing benefit of market availability is that it supports local agriculture and helps to reduce the environmental impact of transporting produce long distances. When you buy locally, you’re supporting small businesses and sustainable agricultural practices. And an extra bonus is that seasonal ingredients are often more affordable than out-of-season ingredients, which means you can save money while creating delicious baked goods.
One of the most exciting aspects of baking with seasonal ingredients is that you’re using the best ingredients at their peak! When fruits and vegetables are in season, they’re harvested at the perfect time, meaning they’re packed with flavor and nutrients.
Have you ever tried baking with strawberries that were out of season? They’re often bland and lacking in that sweet, juicy flavor that we all love. But when you use strawberries that are in season, they’re bursting with flavor and sweetness, making your desserts absolutely irresistible!
In addition to taste, using seasonal ingredients that are at their peak ensures that you’re getting the most nutritional benefits out of your ingredients. When fruits and vegetables are picked at their peak ripeness, they contain the most vitamins and minerals. This means that not only will your desserts taste amazing, but they’ll also be packed with nutrients that are good for your body.
All in all, incorporating seasonal baking is about combining the best ingredients with our love of good food and taking advantage of what nature offers. Baking with seasonal ingredients is a great way to get inspired in the kitchen and maximize the flavors of your baked goods!
Whether you are making a new menu for a restaurant or looking for something special for a family gathering, incorporating seasonal flavors into your baking can add a unique twist to traditional favorites. Every season offers a range of delicious options, from bright summer fruits like strawberries and cherries to deeper autumnal notes of apples, pears, and squash.
As we transition into spring, there’s no better time to start incorporating seasonal ingredients into your baking. Spring is the season of bloom, and with it comes a whole array of fresh and flavorful produce that can take your baking to new heights!
Here are some of the most popular springtime ingredients to incorporate into your baking recipes:
- Strawberries: One of the most popular springtime ingredients, strawberries are sweet, juicy, and versatile. They’re great for making jams or adding to pies. If you’re looking for something to bake with strawberries, try making a strawberry shortcake or a classic strawberry pie!
- Rhubarb: Tart and tangy, rhubarb is a classic springtime ingredient that pairs perfectly with sweet flavors. Use it to make a rhubarb pie, crumble, or crisp, or mix it into muffins or quick breads.
- Asparagus: While not a traditional baking ingredient, asparagus can add a unique and delicious flavor to baked goods. Use it to make a savory quiche or frittata or mix it into a cheesy bread or savory muffin recipe.
- Lemons: Bright and zesty, lemon is a classic springtime flavor that can be used in a variety of baked goods. Try making a lemon pound cake, lemon bars, or lemon poppy seed muffins. Lemon can also be used to add flavor to scones, biscuits, or even a classic shortbread cookie.
- Carrots: Carrots are a versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savory baked goods. You can use them to make a classic carrot cake with cream cheese frosting or mix them into muffins.
With the help of these tasty ingredients, you can create something truly special for your friends and family. So go ahead, get creative in the kitchen, and enjoy the deliciousness of baking with seasonal ingredients!
Hopefully, you’re feeling inspired by this new spring season to bake something extraordinary. Or, if you’re looking to enjoy some delicious baked goods without doing the hard work yourself, come visit us!
Using fresh, high-quality ingredients is integral to KBC’s mission, and we want to share that with our customers. When done correctly, we know how delicious baking can be, so we only use fresh seasonal ingredients in our products.
If you want fresh artisan baked goods that use seasonal ingredients, come down to Kirshenbaum Baking Co. and taste the difference for yourself! Or you can order delicious cookie creations online with our cookie delivery shop. We guarantee you won’t be disappointed!